PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2023, 00:00
dr dre

Received 387 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Rex Havoc
I don't know what you are smoking, but I simply don't understand this pre occupation of yours to think that a civilian airline TRI could or should train in the RAAF world.
No, what I said was civilian TRIs have experience in teaching and training that could be transferred to the civilian ab-initio arena in some fashion - but this still shouldn’t grant them any type of Flight Instructor Rating straight up without having to meet all the CASA competencies to gain that instructor rating.

Could an airline TRI do the type rating training for an equivalent RAAF 330, 737 or Falcon 7X pilot? Yes, in fact a lot of current RAAF pilots were trained and do their checks in civilian airline C&T systems.

To become a TRI in the civilian airlines you have to be a line pilot, keep out of **** with management, maybe do an interview for the job, then do a bit of sim training then you are let loose.
It’s a bit more than that. Relevant experience, standards, knowledge and instruction for the position. But trained especially for that role, and not granted automatic privileges in other forms of training based on status, unlike what the subject pilot was seeking. Airline training now is heavily geared toward the HF and CRM aspects of Multi Crew training and an airline TRI most definitely would have the experience of guiding and assessing the development of multi crew skills more so than a military instructor who hasn’t trained in multi crew ops, yet even they are not granted an FIR-MCP privilege (I believe) automatically.

I am all for your TRIs teaching in the RAAF, just let them pass a wings pilots course first, then pass CFS QFIs course.
Like I said you may want to do your research better as plenty of civilian TRIs are teaching RAAF pilots how to fly equivalent types. Civilian TRIs who’ve never set foot on a RAAF base or had any desire to wear a blue uniform.

Last edited by dr dre; 1st Sep 2023 at 00:40.
The following users liked this post: