PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOP GUN : Inside the RAF (where did it go?)
Old 31st Aug 2023, 13:18
NutLoose

Received 2,943 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Wwyvern
Nutloose
That wouldn't have been in the early 1970s, I presume? The fearsome Bogbrush of Cranwell repute, Jack Holt reigned in ODI then.
I have memory of Mr Holt in action. He was riding in the Station Commander's (we didn't refer to him as "Staish" in my day, nor did we drink beer out of the bottle!) car with the SC pennant flying proudly from the bonnet, when they drove past a usually scruffy Flying Officer (but top of the range helicopter pilot) shambling in the opposite direction. There was no salute from the USFO, and the car was brought to a rapid standstill. Mr Holt exited, and called the USFO to heel. Was he not aware of the SC's pennant, and the obligation to recognise it with a salute? The USFO acknowledged that he had missed that, and waved to the SC in his car with a "Hi there" salutation. Result, USFO had a week of extra Orderly Officer duties.

/one, notably casual officer (but excellent Helicopter pilot)

Said Station Commander's wife driving his car with the pennant on stopped to berate some airman for not saluting her... complaint was made, pennant was removed and said wife was never seen driving it again.
The following users liked this post: