PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MV22B Crash - Off Coast Darwin - 26 Aug 23
Old 31st Aug 2023, 11:56
Lonewolf_50

Received 430 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by 60FltMech
https://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Agencies/USMC-FOIA/FRR/

The link above is for the USMC report on the dual clutch hard engagement accident in California last year.

Probably not what caused this accident but they do discuss in this report Marine Corps specific safety data related to MV-22 operations. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but the report is worth a read as it does cover some emergency procedures as well as normal procedures for Osprey operations.

FltMech
Thanks. From that report:
19. The 10-year average mishap rate for USMC MV-22B is 3.16 per 100,000 flight hours [Encl (7)]
20. The USMC aviation mishap average is 3.1 per 100,000 flight hours, which includes aircraft such as AV-8B, F/A-18A-C, F-35B, CH-53E, and KC-130J. [Encl (7)]
I noted on one of the endorsements - the CG of Third MAW, letter to I MEF CG - the observation that the fix for the HCE is a work in progress, given that the root cause is not yet known. The mitigation (it appears that an 800 hour service limit was imposed on the input quill) is a mitigation.
(And that may have nothing to do with the mishap under discussion in this thread).
Originally Posted by bbofh
Lonewolf 50Not suggesting that the Melville Island accident was related to AssymVR, however many others have been
So what? This mishap investigation will try to find out what happened in t his one. There's a seprarate thread for V-22 bashing, I'll find you a link and post it.
EDIT: here it is.
Originally Posted by bbofh
The moral of this long-winded story is that "wise after the event" is always destined to be disappointing.
No ****. It's been said more than once in Naval Aviation that the NATOPS is written in blood.

Just out of curiosity, bobofh: when you were flying Hueys, when did you first learn not to do a push over and unload the head? An old boss of mine flew Dustoffs (he later saw the light and became a Naval Aviator) and when I asked him about it he said it was common knowledge in his unit, mid to late 60's.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 1st Sep 2023 at 15:57.