PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nearly 5,000 Commercial Pilots Are Under Investigation For Hiding Health Problems
Old 31st Aug 2023, 02:09
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radgirl
Yes they are outdated. Non commercial medicals are becoming less common. I would argue commercial medicals need to use modern technology more. More carotid ultrasound, more coronary CT. However the big issue is that the regulators themselves admit they cant keep up with changing healthcare and changes to life expectancy because they dont have the money to develop new policy.
Well, but there is growing awareness of the need for better medical-related data, especially focused on policy questions with regard to mandatory retirement age, perhaps even emerging consensus. Aligned with the need for better, more comprehensive, and more readily accessible (and usable) data is the need for better medical assessments, particularly given advances in wellness initiatives and greater life expectancy. (I'm not ignorant of pilots sometimes pursuing lifestyle habits not quite in the wellness category, but I'm ignoring it for this post.)

At the pretty wide-ranging and well-attended ICAO conference going on now, one panel today addressed the subject of Age Limitations. All six panelists were seriously deeply versed in aviation medicine, or were senior pilots - some both. With the legislative controversy pending in United States but not only for that reason, I think the odds are improving for regulators to wise up and accelerate the pressure for required funding. (It was, by the way, a superb panel.)