PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New CAP 371: Avoidance Of Fatigue in Air Crews
Old 21st Jan 2004, 07:02
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps we should remember that it took a major accident many decades ago to get ANY form of FTLs.

I once knew a colleague who said that if he left the house after his wife had gone to bed or returned when she was still in bed then, as far as he was concerned, that was a night flight! I cannot think of a more realistic definition.

It really is time that pilots as a body took some ACTION on this issue. The world has changed in so many respects, e.g. the journey to work takes twice as long as it did a few years ago and its no good companies saying oh well the FTL scheme/contract says you have to live within such and such travelling time from the airport - what about the time it takes to get from the car park to crew report etc etc. The bureaucrats need to get a dose of reality and shadow crew members for a couple of weeks to find out what is REALLY happening out there!

In the long term these rostering practices (and by the way I am not getting at the crewing officers who are trying their best give the resources) are only going to cost the companies a lot of extra money. Pilots are only going to start going elsewhere or, longer term, they might lose their medical due ill health or go sick due short term sickness.

I repeat that it is up to us as pilots to take concerted action and DO something before it is too late.