PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 293 Sqn and Sgt J Lewis
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2023, 18:30
JRDUKNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just back from Kew and can confirm that I found various mentions in the non-digitised records - not as it happens of 293 Sqn but of the Warwick Training Unit (which became the Air Sea Rescue (ASR) Training Unit in October 1943. Now that I'm back in front of my computer I can see that QuePee has replied already but I had indeed also found that F/O B. S. Hayward had service number 124412 and waswas part of the "Main Party" when the Unit moved from Bircham Newton to Thornaby. After that the Unit moved to Thorney Island in early December 1943 and F/O Hayward was noted as flying Warwick aircraft Y1 to Thorney Island with F/Sgt Grant as Observer (navigator?) and Sgt Cottam as WOp/Ag. He then appears in the record on 8th Feb 1944 as "detached to Hurn pending posting overseas". The final mention I found today in teh non digitised ORB was on 11 March 1944 where F/O Hayward was noted as "ceased to be detached to RAF Hurn on posting to No1 BPD" - BPD=Base Personnel Depot I believe and RAF Hurn was (according to Wikipedia) " the final airfield in England for aircraft flying to Morocco for the North African and Italian campaigns, avoiding France, Spain and Portugal airspace" and the home of "No. 3 Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit" ( I don't know that dates for this Unit but I did observe in the records today that many (all??) of the ASR Warwick crews went to Hurn "prior to despatch overseas".)

Hope this helps and is of interest!