PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MV22B Crash - Off Coast Darwin - 26 Aug 23
Old 29th Aug 2023, 15:51
bbofh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That Assym VR Conundrum

I ran into that VR hex three times while on helos, and each time was more alarming than the last. Once in day VFR at low-level, On each occasion, landing downwind due to the LZ's limitations (UH-1D). Twice during Night Dust-off (UH-1H) with limitations on the approach direction. I resolved never to ever do a downwind approach again unless unavoidable. Only a collective drop and a fast forward cyclic reaction can ever retrieve the situation. It's much like the fabled "retreating blade stall". You get told about it but never believe it until it happens to you (I was bored and bird-dogging a fast-moving fox at the time)... and only a habit of not firming up the collective friction saved me when the G and rapid roll-rate came on (UH-1B)... and the collective naturally dropped. Such evolutions can never be taught. The Osprey solution for AssymVR I spelled out on one of those follow-on pages in that link. I doubt that it will ever be incorporated, but it would be a life-saver for a people-carrier..