PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2023, 11:50
walesregent

Received 239 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Makiko
You guys are really like say State Govts trying to talk up dangerous roads or violent crime when per-capita rates are one third of what they were 40 years ago.

Just keep repeating "the narrative" & people will believe eventually believe it. What's the objective , to discourage people from applying to Group Airlines , hoping for EBA improvements or something ?

Last from me on this topic & this comes from contacts in HR. Don't believe me , no worries just have a look at ML list not hard to work out who is ext/internal

External (2018 & 2022 intakes)
  • 2000 plus applicants in two week application window
  • 500 get an aptitude test
  • assume 30% cull rate test
  • assume 25% cull rate interview/sim
  • 200 or so selections , intakes next two/three years
Internals 2022
  • All who apply get test (apart from those recent training failure - wait 6/12 months)
  • All test takers proceed to interview (for externals need at least 4/5 , internals proceed to interview with 1/5)
  • Assume 20% failure interview (no sim)
  • 80% success rate versus externals 10% success rate
  • Intakes next two/three years based on merit (score at test, score at sim)
So if you are waiting a long time as internal applicant it is because you ranked at the bottom end of merit pool. But it must be of significant consolation to know that if you had to compete with equal footing against externals , you just wouldn't be there

The odds are massively stacked in favour of internals 80% strike rate Vs 10% . Tons of externals who might have been TRE/TRI overseas , young pilots in LHS in USA, military test pilots don't even get selected to proceed. Because the number of tests given to externals is capped

I would think that from 2016 at least 50% of ML intake has come from internal applicants. This is reflected by the fact that approximately 150 from Qlink dash are on HF & that at least that number from Qlink dash have started since 2016 already commenced

The Airline can hire all externals or 100% internals for all I care & I have absolutely no problem that different standards applied for each group. Qantas can do whatever they like with their own airlines & as their is a shortage obviously you would think it just common sense to give their own internal group pilots preference - which is exactly what they have done

If you are a QF group pilot & want to wait minimum time to cross over ML get studying for the aptitude test as you are ranked according to your performance (the interview score doesn't create much of a differential)

And those internals who are waiting two years plus well that is based on how you own performance at selection. Just like the externals at bottom of Hold File
or they offer start dates to internals in more or less the exact order in which they interviewed, which followed a system where candidates booked their own interview based on a batch of available dates. Some people didn’t get through at all, so worth preparing for, but if you met a minimum standard it didn’t seem particularly selective.