PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA CPL with FAA PPL Experience
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2023, 02:46
Spruill7716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EASA CPL with FAA PPL Experience

Greetings Everyone,

I'm currently finishing my MEP with the FAA in the United States and would like to explore options about converting my existing ratings to EASA. I currently have a FAA PPL, a FAA IR, and soon my FAA MEP rating. In addition I also have many of the required EASA items already including my:
  • EASA Class 1 Medical
  • English Proficiency Exam - Level 6
  • PBN Training Certificate
  • A-UPRT Certificate
My medical was issued through the Netherlands but I plan on transferring it to Austria (AustroControl) in a SOLI form once I get it renewed later this year. I'm also enrolled in a Distance Learning ATPL Theory course with CATS Aviation and plan on finishing my 13 ATPL exams by March of next year. I understand that I will need to have an EASA license (PPL or CPL) before the IR/MEP ratings can be converted. I've been able to do a fair bit of time building in the United States and already have the minimum hour requirements for an EASA CPL according to Appendix 3 (E-12) of the Part-FCL, including:
  • 200 Hours Total Time, including 100 Hours as PIC, of which 50 Hours X-Country as PIC
  • 1 XC Flight of at Least 300 NM with Stops at 2 Different Airports
  • 5 Hours of Night Flying, with 3 Hours of Dual Instruction, a 1 Hour XC with 5 Solo Take-Offs and 5 Solo Full Stop Landings
  • 10 Hours of Instrument Flight Instruction
Since I have already met these requirements and would've passed all 13 ATPL exams, would I be required to perform any additional training other than my EASA CPL skill test in order to be issued my EASA CPL? The same question goes for my IR and MEP ratings as well? According to 2.4.8(a) and 2.2.6(d) of the TIP-L licensing agreement between the FAA and EASA, I should be exempt from any familiarization flying for both the IR and MEP ratings given that I have already completed:
  • 50 Hours IFR Time (Simulated + Actual IMC) as PIC
  • 2 Hours & 30 Minutes of Dual Instruction in a MEP Airplane, and 3 Hours & 30 Minutes of Engine Failure Procedures
Please let me know what I can expect for training/conversion given my existing experience.