PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2023, 00:25
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
I deleted an earlier post, written late while under the influence of too much good malt. Here is the polite version.
Not having ever done basic instruction, and never having held a Grade 3, it may be that I am unqualified to comment on the relative merits of airline or military instructor experience, as applied to GA. However, I have been on the receiving end of many a graduate from various sources, and rarely had issue with 250 hour cadets fresh out of school, 5000 hour ex RAAF fast jet jocks, or 20,000 hour airline pilots (though the latter sometimes needed firm handling to eradicate former SOPs). Also, GA pilots who have done some instructing work at G 3 level usually do very well when transitioning to airline flying. They may not initially have the manipulative skills of the other groups (too much time watching, not enough driving), but they are often most receptive to learning new tricks. By the time they get their commands - regardless of where they got their experience - most airline pilots will be on a par. The few who didn’t make it? Well, part of my job was to identify and weed out the incompetent ones, and I never shirked that responsibility (despite 43" insulting aspersions...). As for which ones made the best airline instructors (sorry 43" SUPERViSORY pilots), often those recently appointed to command, regardless of origins, were best, because their own upgrade process was still fresh. Which supports the theory that a newly-minted G 3 could be the better option for teaching basics. Note to 43" et al: I said "could be".
Whether CASA should do as the FAA do, and have a "one size fits all" approach to the issue of instructor certificates and acceptance of military instructor time is moot. CASA will NEVER adopt FAA. because their stuff is not obscure enough.
For RAAF aspirants to civvie street, it would be helpful if CASA spelled it out more clearly than they do, and removed room for dispute. The UK CAA makes it very clear. Clare Prop gave the link in an earlier post, but I am too lazy to scroll back and find it. There, the CAA list almost every conceivable RAF qualification, and the conditions required for the equivalent civil accreditation. Some stuff gets automatic recognition, but a lot requires examination and testing. The bit I really liked though (being an advocate for benevolent dictatorship and tough love) was the preamble, in which CAA state that nothing is up for dispute, appeal or negotiation (my paraphrasing)..At least it keeps down legal costs.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 28th Aug 2023 at 12:16.