PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2023, 07:09
43Inches

Received 440 Likes on 241 Posts
Your response tone tells me you take it very personally when it was not intended as a personal slant. There's only one here saying 'I'm better than you' and that's you. I'm just peddling the stats. Just because you don't like it you don't have to get up on a soap box, I'd rather you actually provide some proof I'm wrong, which so far you have provided nothing of the sort. I wait in anticipation.

And my comment on whether you should comment on this thread was in direct response to what you accused me of, but have done yourself.

PS I'm not writting a thesis here, or making a submission to some peer group, so if you want to disprove my statements, go on, do it, show your facts.

Getting back to the thread;

The premise is that a military (RAAF) instructor somehow needs supervision to be safe and effective when the comparative military instructor (USAF) converting in the USA does not. The statistical data shows that the US accident rate in GA (and recreational aviation) is similar if not better than Australia. Therefore it is quite easy to say that there is no benefit to safety to require a converted RAAF instructor to be supervised at all, as the training required for military instructors in the RAAF and USAF is very high, and both make competent civilian instructors. Are we seriously saying that USAF instructors are way better than RAAF ones, or is there some truth that I have missed here?

The benefit would be to make it much easier for long serving RAAF instructors to come back to be senior instructors to assist with the drain in basic aeronautical knowledge that has afflicted Australian aviation.

Also it's quite easy to see that the US system favors promoting instructors with high pass rates, to give them recognition of their abilities. Australia does no such thing. It's very easy to see the safety benefits from encouraging high first time passes, as that means the training is solid.

As for the aeronautical knowledge of airline training/check captains, you have probably heard of certain ones who ask candidates about retreating blade stall on turboprops, and that you have to be careful turning out of wind (on autopilot) in case the downwind stalls you....

Last edited by 43Inches; 27th Aug 2023 at 07:44.