PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2023, 01:29
43Inches

Received 428 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
It gives me no pleasure agreeing with CASA on this one. Having significant experience on both sides of the coin, there are a number of very good instructors in the Airline Industry and the ADF, delegates, that have trained many 3000 hr plus commercial pilots on various types and have never held an instructor rating. This does not make them a Grade One Flight Instructor. I support consideration or credits for previous experience, but not a substitute for.
So you are totally ignoring what we are talking about, that a USAF instructor pilot can basically get a CFI/CFII or MEI recognized, to teach whatever ratings they hold. They have no requirements for 'ab-initio' training, just a general 'have conducted' x amount of training to be involved in instructor training, which would be the only similarity to a FIR G1. And with all that have a safer system than Australia? I can't agree with CASA regulations on this as it's a draconian bureaucratic system that holds tight to laws and not outcomes. The AAT basically had it's hands tied as the way CASA regulations are written mean that they can not disagree with CASA.

The aeronautical experience requirements for various RATINGS are listed in 61.129, there is no instructor RATING. The ratings they refer to in 61.181 is when you want to say add on a helicopter RATING to your Commercial Pilot/CFI CERTIFICATE. In the FAA world, RATING sets forth the special conditions, privileges, or limitations on a CERTIFICATE. The Commercial Pilot/CFI are the CERTIFICATES, RATING is the privileges/limitations on the CERTIFICATE, e.g. airplane, helicopter, multi-engine etc.
I'm not sure you understand the US FAA system for instructor certificates.

§ 61.181 Applicability.

This subpart prescribes the requirements for the issuance of flight instructor certificates and ratings (except for flight instructor certificates with a sport pilot rating), the conditions under which those certificates and ratings are necessary, and the limitations on those certificates and ratings.
There are different certificates that you apply for with different ratings.

(2) An instrument rating, or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying for—

(i) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating;

(ii) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating;

(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a powered-lift rating; or

(iv) A flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating.
That's where the terms CFI/CFII or MEI come from.

Once you have some experience you can then apply for a 'Gold Seal', which gives you a fancy certificate and bragging rights.

Last edited by 43Inches; 27th Aug 2023 at 01:46.