PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2023, 16:53
menekse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deja vu
Well Mr Clarke has demonstrated a degree of arrogance that would suggest he could well unleash unsafe aviators. Of course arrogance and an inflated sense of ego is always seen as an asset in military aviation
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
If we go by his logic my 35 years of civvie instructing should qualify me to jump into a PC21 with no conversion training and start training fighter pilots. Yeah right.

When I came here with a UK instructor rating I had to do a conversion too.

Surely this god-like creature can manage to do a PMI exam, flight test and get an endorsement on "single engine aeroplanes below 5700 kg"?
Sounds like he would be a nightmare to work with, the way he looks down on us all, not someone you would want on your team, someone who thinks they can go to the AAT for special treatment instead of just complying with Part 61, the Part he would be teaching!

A few years ago I did a CPL conversion for a guy who had been instructing on Tornadoes in the RAF. He then had to do more conversion training before he went on to instruct at Pearce. He would have been a great civvie instructor as well, because he recognised that they are two very different skill sets and never saw one as inferior to the other, having flown GA before joining the RAF.
I have no idea about Australian CAA and their formalities
I strongly disagree that an ex military pilot would show a bad attitude, at least on 95% of the occasions.

''Sounds like he would be a nightmare to work with, the way he looks down on us all, not someone you would want on your team''

A person, as you describe just wouldn't survive the Air Force Academy and the later career.
Teamwork is the cornerstone of the military, especially if we talk for air operations.
Can't be an Air Force pilot without good flying skills, SA, etc. The system is built like that
A civilian FI could be a skilled teacher and excellent pilot, could also be a limited pilot who got the license cause he just paid for it
Some good relationships with the flight school, an overpriced FI rating and gets the job maybe without a proper salary
Just to log some hours, present himself as a pilot instructor and make some videos on instagram
God helps the students
Of course, some checks before getting his rating are ok but is ridiculous to ask a military pilot to have the same course for FI rating with a 200 hours piston pilot and paying the same money for that