PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2023, 04:40
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
And so, having thrown the keys to a C172 to Mr Clarke, walk us through the carnage that would have ensued.
Many years ago I remember seeing an instructor have to go out to the flight line and tell someone to shut down their 172. This Pilot was a 747 Captain, highly experienced, had flown GA but not for a couple of decades and was trying to get a 172 out of an absolutely impossible spot it was parked in and nearly took out the damned wing in their efforts. That's the type of carnage I'm talking about and I've no doubt most experienced Instructors, especially at smaller schools, have similar stories.

How about this, Mr Clarke as a Grade 1 is able to sign off Grade 3s, a Grade 3 is meant to be teaching the fundamentals and one of those fundamentals is Airlaw, do you think walking straight out of the RAAF that Mr Clarke would be fully conversant on all laws as they apply to Civilians? What about Part 91? Or any of the newer regulations? But you feel he should be given these rights and privileges without having actually demonstrated them? In what world does that make sense?

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't just throw him the keys, I'd want to go do a couple of circuits with him first for my own peace of mind.

Last edited by Ixixly; 24th Aug 2023 at 04:44. Reason: added last sentence to clarify
The following users liked this post: