PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOO GOOD FOR GA?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2023, 02:00
dr dre

Received 371 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Rex Havoc
DRE

Your Boeing/Airbus TRI, TRE analogy is invalid, Those TRI's and TRE's have never had an Instructional course in the same ball par/league as a RAAF QFI/FCI.
I don’t know about the levels of each instructional course but in my decades of aviation I can confidently say former military trainers I’ve encountered are no better than wholly civilian trainers, so trying to pass off RAAF trained instructors in a civilian environment as superior doesn’t hold up.

For the folk talking about his "attitude" etc, that is irrelevant. If he does a Civie Instructor course -he will go out in the world with the same personality he had before. (I know Clarky, and his attitude is NOT in question. He would make a superb instructor to an ab initio pilot in the civie world, with or without a Civilian CASA rating.
Really? - some comments by his lawyer show an air of arrogance about his arguments - a definite ‘I’m better than you and you civvies need me’ mentality.

“Australia is privileged to have a significant cadre of highly qualified, talented and decorated ex-defence force pilots, who after concluding their military careers set their sights upon civilian aviation,”

Australian flying students could only benefit from lower barriers for ex-defence pilots in this regard as diversity of aviation experience is a proverbial pearl of aviation wisdom they could benefit from.”

I mean c’mon.

The Issue is - Does he need a Civie instructor course that is CASA approved? Does he need to demonstrate to a civie examiner that he can teach a stall in a c152? Really?
Yes. Heavy jet TRI/TRE can train for stall and unusual attitude recover in a high performance jet yet still have to demonstrate those competencies to CASA to obtain an FIR.

Anecdotally I’ve heard some fast jet pilots sometimes struggle with low powered light training aircraft. They don’t always show the required competency straight up. It’s only 30hrs of dual instruction required for an G3 FIR anyway.

I say, good on him. I wish him all the best, and I hope he wins.
Given the time in courts and appeals, and the legal fees he’s spent, if he just had done a 6 week G3 FIR course he’d probably would’ve had his desired outcome much cheaper and quicker.

The following 5 users liked this post by dr dre: