PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic pilots consider strike over fatigue
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 19:52
HOVIS

Received 87 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by King Lear
Scientists know very little about fatigue since desynchrony is a normalisation of deviance only made possible by the advent of longrange aircraft about 65 years ago and there is no commercial interest in finding out that fatigue is a threat to flight safety that needs to be professionally managed by objective means such as checking the individual biomarkets of every crew.

Engineers trend monitor parameters ”vital signs” of every engine and even in flight, whereas pilots may have slept poorly, may suffer from an undetected infection or the metabolic syndrome at check inn without any concern from anybody that the lack of homeostasis may cause pilot errors during the flight.

An Apple Watch could already detect low HRV, high resting pulse, poor sleep patterns, low blood oxygenation and a slower reaction time and in future higher blood pressure to more objectively vet the fatigue of a crew as compared to filling in a fatigue ASR.

Who is using the wearable development to at least launch studies into fatigue?

Crew health is hence still a black hole in flight safety “management”.

There is simply nobody in the CAA, the unions and amongst crew that has the slightest idea about how to mitigate fatigue to an Acceptable Level of Safety Performance, an ALoSP at the moment and few that would attribute ATC and pilot errors to fatigue..
I'm just going to throw my tuppence in here as the above statement is utter garbage. Fatigue is a well known and well studied subject. It is drilled into us engineers all the time. I have personally refused to work many times because I felt I could not concentrate. Sometimes you just have to grow a pair!