PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic pilots consider strike over fatigue
Old 21st Aug 2023, 14:37
70 Mustang

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I'm mistaken...

But last time I checked, most aircraft move a lot faster than most boats. And there is the three dimensional aspect to be considered. Not to mention the hours in an 7500-8000 foot cabin pressure and the dry air.

If i properly understand boats, they can have an engine failure and they still will float quite readily. An aircraft with an engine failure has significant adverse yaw that i doubt most boats can match.

Just the fact that the captain of a boat can fully stand up and walk around a bit gives him a large advantage over most flight crew situations.

both hands up, I'd prefer most any aircraft over most any boat for crossing the Atlantic or Pacific.

Originally Posted by SteveHobson
I have followed many threads on PPRuNe regarding the friction between flight crew and airline management.
Why is there this seeming lack of trust ? Pilots referring to managers as 'bean counters' and only looking at short term benefits. The pilots stating that fatigue is becoming a major safety issue, really ?
A recent thread compared plane and train unions citing 'safety issues' when really it had nothing to do with safety but just a bargaining chip to try and get the publics sympathy for what is really just wage and benefits negotiation.

I am a retired Master Mariner who served on British flag Very Large Crude Carriers (VLCC's), and then became an ocean freight logistics manager for a fleet of over deep sea 400 vessels.
In all my time at sea we never once used the 'safety' gimmick to try and obtain better conditions.
In fact in all my time at sea we officers never undertook industrial action. Similarly, there were no industrial disputes on our time chartered fleet.

Are airline pilots a superior breed that need to be mollycoddled, and always to be at the throats of their airlines?
Or are the airlines really that bad to work for?
What happened to mutual trust and appreciation ?

I don't know,! Can someone help me understand.?

Swiss Steve