PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Salary - Transitioning LhFO to ShCpt
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2023, 19:49
Speed_Trim_Fail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EffectOne
EZY

Joined in January 2020. So, while I am obviously lucky to still have a job given recent events, I have been here for 3.5 years and am still an SO. Getting frustrated with the company's sell of "yeah it's rubbish and considerably below market average until you're a captain, but once you get there it's all good", hence the mulling of a move. I am 35 though (second career) and so the decision isn't clear cut by any means.
“Once you get there…”

I’d be the first to admit the roster on the single aisle airbus can be a lot of work, particularly further down the seniority list, and weekends off are a pipe dream if you have kids which needs to be addressed…however BA offers, in my opinion anyway, far more than your current employer in the long term. If you join now in 5-6 years you’ll be looking at your command (maybe less but I wouldn’t hold my breath) or a jump across to Long Haul, which can offer a totally different lifestyle (which isn’t for everyone!) and an entirely new challenge to you, versus 30 years of more of the same. Yes time to command is exceedingly long on the big iron, but arguably as an FO/SFO you are treated very much as a grown up and many choose to stay there for lifestyle reasons. The beauty of BA is that you could try long haul, not like it, and jump back to your old fleet and not lose anything as other posters have mentioned. I’m not sure how leave/bidding works at EZY of course.

If you’re within an hour or so of LHR it is, in my opinion anyway, a good decision to join ASAP (seniority is everything) and you’d be welcomed with open arms.

Just my opinion (and arguably the blue chip has been in for a while) and worth exactly what you paid for it!