PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Salary - Transitioning LhFO to ShCpt
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2023, 18:55
RARA9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EffectOne
Hi all,

Currently mulling over whether to apply to BA (the usual story). Looking at the payscales on PPJN, can anyone explain how the salary transition operates in practice going from a long haul FO to short haul captain? Is anyone able to explain how the following hypothetical examples would work in practice?

Assumed 6 year fleet freeze as a SH FO on the 320. Salary at year 6 would be £74,845.

Example 1: At the end of year 6, freeze finishes and you successfully bid for a swap to a LH FO position. I assume you would transition into the year 7 LH FO salary scale (£80,711), not the year 1 LH FO salary scale (£65,909), otherwise no one would ever switch fleet from SH to LH.

Example 2: At the end of year 10 as a LH FO, you apply for and get your SH Cpt. If the way I assume example 1 works is accurate, you would at this point be on the year 10 pay scale for a LH FO, being £88,115. If you transitioned onto the year 1 payscale for a SH Cpt, you would be taking a pay cut down to £87,876, I can't imagine this is what happens in practice, so do you perhaps then start on the year 2 payscale for a SH Cpt to ensure you get a pay rise when transitioning? I guess the increase in BA's equivalent of sector pay would probably nudge your overall salary to higher than what it was as a LH FO.

If anyone could explain how these two examples would work in practice, and whether the Cpt at 10 years assumption is reasonable, I would appreciate it. I am the wrong side of 30 and, although I am fairly sure I would earn more money in the long run by staying where I am, not all factors are financial and I'm trying to ascertain just how much money I would lose over the course of my career by jumping to BA now.

Many thanks for any assistance.

where are you now if you don’t mind me asking ?