PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beech Premier down on apprach RWY 15 WMSA
Old 19th Aug 2023, 23:59
The Messnger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the information available the approach speed for this aircraft is in the region of 120KIAS +/- for conditions.
From the data available it was high on glide slope and fast all of the way down final so you could deduce from that the thrust would be at idle in an effort to get back on slope and correct the speed.
VFE 200KIAS for initial approach VLE200KIAS VFE 170 final approach.
Approach data distance from touchdown:
9nm 2575ft 192kias (below G/S)
7nm 2300ft 184kias (200ft above G/S)
5nm 1800ft 178kias (300ft above G/S should be considering a missed approach-too high too fast 58kts above approach speed)
4.3nm 1500ft 166kts (300ft high 46kts fast)
4nm 1250ft (50ft high 154kts appears like nose down manoeuvre to correct G/S, high rate of descent, when the aircraft should be stable in full approach config. 120KIAS )
Somewhere shortly after this stage I would think an attempted missed approach was made and the speed too fast for a stall. Thrust would be advanced from presumably idle to G/A thrust. The aircraft never stopped descending from this time and commenced a turn to the right. From this knowledge could we consider some sort of failure as thrust was increased? Did the right engine fail to produce expected thrust and was rudder not applied correctly for an asymmetric situation? The aircraft in the video supports this as the bank angle to the right went through 90 degrees and at impact was inverted. In my time as a check Captain on heavy jet I have seen more mistakes during handling a missed approach especially with an engine inoperative than on a take off with an engine failure at V1. The reason is that pilots on approach tend to be in landing mode rather than rehearsing a missed approach with a failure, of some sort, in their mind before landing. Just a thought!