PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAF Recruitment Ad.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2004, 23:12
Talking Radalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"And don't forget the free dental treatment, nominal Council Tax charge, non-contributory pension, free gym membership, subsidised bar (go easy) and the other fringe benefits."

OK, fair point, we don't do too badly, but...all of the above are about being "looked after" which isn't the same as an overall "feeling" of being valued. Those held in HMPs across the country enjoy roughly the same standard of living and many of the same facilities (if not more) as junior ranks who live in SLA. But how "valued" do you think those prisoners feel?
I make use of all of the facilities mentioned and trust me I'm not ungrateful, but feeling cared for or appreciated or at times even acknowledged as a person doesn't come from cheap housing, swimming pools and free beer. You can be living in a 12'x12' on Salisbury Plain and feel more valued than loafing around a hotel in Vegas, by something as simple as having a boss who gives a $hit (personally got no complaints there)
For me the key is a visible appreciation of what we do, Airships who actually listen and then act on what those at the coalface tell them, execs who know when to say "Stop" and aren't pressurised in to making do, equipment scaling based on what's really needed and so on.
You can have all the material perks in the world but if the worker ants are too busy or too pi$$ed off to make use of them they mean nothing.