PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth-5
Thread: Bournemouth-5
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2023, 18:58
Flitefone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to extend a runway without pouring concrete

Originally Posted by MARKEYD
Bit of a “ Rumour “ and I repeat “ Rumour “ going around , that the airport is possibly looking at the potential of extending the runway again for the cargo operation with the A340s of European to China etc

Is this a possibility within the airport boundaries, I am guessing it would have to be the threshold of runway 26 to be of any potential ?
A physical extension is highly unlikely for a host of reasons, that are widely known, but!

The location of the road at the western end currently requires that the 08 threshold be displaced (not unlike Runway 20 and railways at Southampton).

At Hurn with the displaced threshold the 08 landing distances for a heavy aircraft will be marginal at times, for instance a wet runway and little/no headwind.

However with operating measures to close the road for 08 landings when required (traffic lights/barriers for instance), it should be possible to move the 08 threshold markers closer to the western end of the runway while meeting CAA requirements. And voila, you have improved landing distance on 08, closer to or equal to those on 26.

A runway extension with no runway extension if you see what I mean.

It would necessitate moving the ILS Glide Path, new runway threshold and touch down markers and revised lighting. As well as traffic controls perhaps even barriers on the road for the few occasions when an aircraft wishes to use 08 for landing.

Conversely the 08 Take Off Distance Available is excellent, whereas 26 is somewhat impeded by the road. The 08 measures might also permit improvements to 26 take off distances for instance with arrester tools such as EMAS.

There is almost certainly some scope for achievable improvement of the usable distances without actually extending the runway.

FF