PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feds Probe Near Collision of Airliner, Executive Jet in San Diego
Old 17th Aug 2023, 17:19
BFSGrad

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 22/04
Would the system used in the U.K. of phraseology "continue approach" until the runway is actually clear then giving a landing clearance not be feasible in the U.S. due to the intensity of traffic.
Not sure if it’s feasible but it’s not required in the U.S. under certain circumstances. 7110.65 allows landing clearances to be issued if the runway is predicted to be clear and required separation maintained, but only at airports with an operating “safety logic” system. KSAN would qualify. I suspect the KSAN safety logic system had something to say during this incident.

The point of withholding the landing clearance until the runway is actually clear has been discussed in many other loss of separation threads (e.g., Austin incident). I remain unconvinced that the “continue approach” procedure prevents loss of separation or runway incursions. A predictive landing clearance does not change the local controller’s responsibility to maintain separation. Similarly, the point in time that a landing clearance is issued during the approach does not change the landing pilot’s obligation to see and avoid (weather permitting). I do wonder what 4HV would have done if the LC had gone mute.