PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Personal minimum cloud ceiling for UK VFR flying
Old 17th Aug 2023, 10:15
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd suggest a new PPL, needs to be using higher limits than I do - perhaps 2000, 3000, 5000 - and most of the time 10km+ visibility.
There is no level of safety that can be set high enough but........! If you live in the UK then there is little that is predictable and the above is rarely possible. Making up unrealistic minima can mean that you never fly and then one day you do with disastrous consequences from panic educed poor decision making. The real answer cannot be SkyDemon however excellent it is. Personal flight planning and further training is the way forward. The minima should be just that not some pie in the sky figure that is rarely possible in the UK. Too little of low level operations are included in many of our PPL courses although it is part of the syllabus. The complexities of the UK, and much of the continent, notified airspace restrictions may force flight over high ground and through corridors with minimum separation above ground.

We are fortunate in the UK in having the IMC rating and I would advise everyone who can to take advantage of this to do so. At least take up ad hoc short courses with a suitable instructor in low level operations to increase both knowledge and confidence. Ignorance is always the killer.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 17th Aug 2023 at 10:45.