PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow and the Dutch SAR Coastguard contract, The Netherlands. Updates, etc....
Old 16th Aug 2023, 21:07
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot_LZ
To play devil’s advocate here, I’m surprised none of the bidders proposed the EH101 if it’s all about size. You can stuff that thing full!

Why consider bid requirement, operating price, parts availability, mission system capability, performance when you can stick with status quo…

LZ
I have no end of then AW and Leonardo brochures on AW101 SAR from attending Farnborough Airshow or any other impromptu briefings events in the last 2 decades.. even attended the NAWSARH launch at end of May 2016 in Yeovil.

Tbt I saw one of the first Cormorants at Farnborough Air Show 2002. Also I saw and sat in one of the first RDAF Merlin at RIAT 2006 and Farnborough 2008 before either airframes ended up back here as Mk3 UOR. Then come Farnborough Air Show 2010, saw new RDAF Merlin. .. (RDAF Merlin’s have been the front cover photo for the 101 SAR brochures) …

Again thinking out loud: shame the Heliliner did not morph more than a test platform now museum piece, into the commercial world. But with the reduction of crews on oil rigs / increased automation and I suspect perhaps the clearance and existing pads may hav been a wee challenge for the Heliliner .

could the 101 be a good commercial SAR platform ? Or heavy downwash from the blades … cause issues…

cheers