PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK unveils new next generation fighter jet, the 'Tempest'
Old 16th Aug 2023, 14:18
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
It's also worth pointing out that Tempest is being developed in the same time frame as SSN-AUKUS

I can't see how the UK can afford both programmes
It is right to question whether the UK can actually afford the GCAP/Tempest programme and I have actually written to my MP asking this same question. He tells me that he has passed me question onto the Defence Sec and I am still waiting for a response.
But on reflection, it would have been much cheaper for the UK to have partnered with the other European programme, notwithstanding the issues associated with the French demanding leadership.
But it has decided not to do that and gone ahead with Tempest, initially alone and then with Italy and now Japan.

Frankly I will be surprised if Europe can actually deliver both and GCAP/Tempest appears to be making some progress towards a first flight.
What interests me most is what engine will be used for this first flight assuming it actually happens in the projected timescale. Whether a version of EJ200 or an all new engine.
The following users liked this post: