PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2023, 22:10
Mach1Muppet

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Abs81
Hiya, new here. Thinking of starting my flight training (RPL to start with) (after 20 years of thinking about it). Not interested in a career in GA, but possibly building a Vans plane or similar in the future... who knows....

Options seem to be Moorabbin, Tyabb and Lilydale for me, Moorabbin being the closest. Have a few questions for the group.

# You say Tyabb is unreal, meaning good? If so why? Is it 'better' training, or cheaper or both, better setup?
# Would like to take TIF flights at all these airports to see what suits me best, do the operators get antsy if you do this? I did have a logbook (lost long ago with 1 hour logged) but would like to take one along to each flight to get time logged.
# Is there an online course where I can do all the theory AND EXAMS components required for RPL (and PPL) without doing the flight training first? Is this even possible without starting an actual flight training course?
# Does in-person training become cheaper if you do the theory and exams yourself? Or is DIYing the theory courses expected anyway?
# Lastly, highly subjective, but anyone have recommendations for flight schools in either of these locations???

Thanks in advance!
Hey Mate, will do my best to answer these, it’s just my opinion, but have a good read of this thread, most information still seems real valid.

Yeah can break down a few, Tyabb, was and in my opinion still has the best culture of any aero club or airfield I’ve ever been to, a real credit to the Melbourne area. It’s surprisingly cheap as well!

Nah operators I’d say love doing TIFs, no shame in a try before you buy, just remember that it’s only a 30min insight into the actual flying side, there will be good days and bad days, just roll with the punches, you’ll get there.

Yep 100% dependant on what you want to do, you can have a crack at RPL/PPL before you’re licensed. While it can be done, I’d strongly advise doing some flying before you attempt them, you’ll wrap your head around the subjects much easier. Check out bob tait for RPL/PPL. Will lessen the cost if you self study but doesn’t hurt to ask for help.

Tyabb and Lilydale are awesome schools, Moorabbin also has its fair share, just be cautious if sausage factories. I’d honestly say if you’re going to build an RV, either or will be a wealth of knowledge.

Sorry for the war and peace, but hope this helps.

Cheers,
M1M

The following users liked this post: