PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabriolet Fighters
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2023, 15:06
Davef68

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ACW342
When on duty in the RWC at Brüggen heard the call “Matz crosser, north to south 1500 feet” shortly thereafter I watched as a Wildenrath Phantom flew over just beyond the threshold with what looked like a big pole sticking out of the back of the rear cockpit and no canopy (or Navigator!). Found out later that the crew involved were “mixing it” with a Canberra and the nav thought that things were about to come to a sudden end and elected for a Martin Baker let down. I’m sure there are other ppruners who can add to this story
Happened to an F-14 too

Although on hat occasion it was a demo flight for the Battle Group Commander!

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/stor...eously-bailed/

e said he didn’t know where to put his hands. Consequently, he just left them in loosely clenched fists on his lap, about two inches away from the ejection handle. It never occurred to me that someone would not know what to do with his hands. Obviously, I fly with the stick and throttle in my hands 95 percent of the flight, but I failed to consider his situation. The mishap board surmised that, during the inverted maneuver, he must have flinched when he slightly rose out of the seat and pulled the ejection handle. Now, before any brief, I try to place myself in the other person’s shoes (even if they are black shoes) and imagine what the flight will be like for him.”