PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio/ATC etiquette and professionalism
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2023, 01:31
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Stranraer
I presume you hate it because it is not the correct terminology in your part of the world:

I wouldn't classify it as "pretty bad RT" - it's understandable and in some parts of the world - mine for example - it's standard:

Does anyone know why "AFFIRM" was adopted in some countries? Was it possibly to avoid confusing "AFFIRMATIVE" with "NEGATIVE"?

I must say I always find this response amusing: "Yes, affirmative."
"Affirmative" was replaced with "affirm" in ICAO-speak at least 15 years ago. But it takes some people a long time to break old habits. One of the classic Oz confusions for foreigners was the use of "left" when vacating or passing a level or altitude. They would hear "left 180" and wonder why the other guy was suddenly flying south. Even when it got changed, the old 'left..." hung around for years.
Local variations still creep in to R/T. Our local volunteer marine coastwatch mob love "Romeo" for 'Yes' - as in "is that a Romeo?" I can't bring myself to respond with anything other than "affirm",although I should really say "yes" as that is standard in the marine world, as is "no" - though that has potential to confuse the Greeks!