PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio/ATC etiquette and professionalism
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2023, 23:23
43Inches

Received 433 Likes on 236 Posts
They try to get about the problem with SOP's like not accepting clearances without 2 people on flight deck or rostering special F/O's to take care of the radio.
Requiring two crew on an airliner to receive and acknowledge a clearance is pretty much a SOP in all modern airlines now, as well as writing it down. Which is why you hear a lot on the radio "for crew coordination say again XXX" as one of them probably wrote down something different to the other or didn't set the altitude on receipt.

As for more accomplished speaking FOs and the such, it happens, however crews on international flights now have captains that were those FOs and so on, so it's far less of an issue. They still speak local lingo when in country at non international ports, so when outside the country they just need somebody who can reliably speak on the radio and translate.

As for modern radio phraseology, it's more like a Victorian era English teacher has taken over writing and it's waffle that adds nothing to safety. "ABC Line-up behind the Blah-Blah-Blah-Blah-Blah-Blaaaaah Airlines Boeing 747 Behind and wait, number two to a BLah-Blah-BLAH-BLAAAH Airlines 737 departing on the crossing runway" No mention of runway you are cleared to enter or such, giving overly descriptive terms for traffic at night, so that a similar callsign on the other runway reads back at the same time and you both line up. By the time you sort out the radio mess with further long winded waffle you've missed several arrival and departure slots.

Why do I have to say "climbing TO" or "descending TO". I mean its just unwarranted waffle. If you want to achieve better radio efficiency stick to the main words, it's not a Shakespeare recital. I would have the call as just "ABC Climb Level 320" - "Climbing Level 220 ABC". Even adding "flight" is really not required, it adds no more clarity and lengthens the call.

Last edited by 43Inches; 13th Aug 2023 at 23:39.
The following users liked this post: