PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which brands have GS mini function ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2023, 16:06
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
From the A330 onwards the THS is automatically set after start when all hydraulics are available.

Why would you need aileron trim? Why would you need the rudder trim with AP ON?

As for the engine failure, the PM will announce “Engine Failure” without specifying the engine; this in order not to confuse the PF and induce errors. The good old “kick the ball” always works, the “ball” is blue and is called the Beta Target. That’s all you need really.
I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I don't want aileron trim, and I don't want rudder trim AP on. I was trying to say that I do not want rudder trim AP OFF.
And thank you for the A330 THS info, did not know that. Will probably appear on the 320 at some point, but could have been there from the start.

And I know the how to fly the 320, and how the Beta target works. My question is, if the plane knows exactly where the rudder should be to center the Beta target, why doesn't it set the rudder there? The whole airbus philosophy of manual flight is that if you don't touch anything nothing will happen/change. Having to stand on the rudder to go straight and manually trim the force out in normal law really contradicts that philosophy IMO. The least they should have done was to have the rudder trim the force out automatically as the pilots keeps the Beta target centered, and the real Airbus way would be that the rudder would be trimmed towards Beta target centered even without rudder input by the pilot, just like it does AP ON. It handles aileron and THS that way, both AP ON or OFF, why not the rudder? Just my opinion.

Last edited by hans brinker; 13th Aug 2023 at 16:32.