PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK unveils new next generation fighter jet, the 'Tempest'
Old 13th Aug 2023, 14:56
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
Keep your friends close - and your enemies closer. Plus the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

If they buy from us we have sway in updates, spares, software etc - and currently a reasonably stable regime surrounded b6 Syria, Iraq, Iran, Yemen etc where, currently, the West still has an 8nterest in oil supplies.

Or would it be better for us if China takes over as their supplier with J-20s etc and becomes the predominate influence and oil customer?
Agreed. Not sure why some are against this. After all we did sell Tornado, Hawk and Typhoon to the RSAF.
Yes I do understand that this is a proposal to join in the development of the new fighter jet as opposed to acquisition. But Saudi Arabia would most likely only have a very limited workshare because of their limited capabilities. They have as yet ordered any 5th generation jets and will need to either do that or join another new development programme with someone else who would be extremely eager to bring them onboard.