PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA proposal to make ATPL training and testing easier?
Old 20th Jan 2004, 18:02
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should Europe need a much more costly training system than used in the US for training anyway?
Good point. However in the US the training is far more flying hours based as opposed to the emphasis on the labourious and oft quite frankly irrelevant written exams here in the UK and sometimes this bill is footed by the student. Some US based newly qualified students get lucky and have the opportunity to work as instructors at the FTO they trained at whilst building up hours in the region of 2000 before approaching the airlines. Some do not even look at the ATP theory exams (much easier than UK anyway) until they're coming up to a command within their airline.

Speak to any US FAA instructor and tell them that guys over here jump into the RHS of a jet with 200 hours and they go into deep shock. I think that says quite alot. However, as I previously pointed out, does VFR instructing in an SEP really bare any resemblance to the kind of work undertaken in an airliner? Decision making experience is improved granted but isn't your time as an FO designed to give you the required experience before you're the one calling the shots from the LHS? BA cadets have graduated from integrated FTO's for years without instructor experience so there's obviously a gaping hole for some balance to be found on this matter.

VFE.