PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizzair
Thread: Wizzair
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2023, 02:32
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TinFoilhat2
Thank you for the replies guys, definitely food for thought. I was under the impression that things had improved at Wizz, better salaries, schedules, basing options etc.

Clearly I’m mistaken on this so thank you for the input. Yes commuting is an option which I do now but from Australia to wherever any of our planes may be anywhere in the world and it gets tiring real fast. 17 on and 13 off but I’m permanently jet lagged and as we fly a heavy crew always (4 pilots) we really struggle to get our take off and landings in due to long sectors and always planning around who is about to expire on their 3 take off and landings every 3 months.

On the plus side I literally fly all over the world and do get to see a lot. However there is something to be said for short haul flying which makes it better in my opinion and that is getting off the plane every couple hours, even if it’s for 10 min just to stretch your legs and get some fresh air. Plus your skills stay sharper due to flying a lot in terms of take off and approaches and landings.

Plus going home after work to see your family is nice if you have kids like me. I’m trying for Cargolux as well as they seem to be good with decent schedules but hard to get into and no hiring going on at present.

Not sure what Easyjet is like but Ryanair is a definite no. If anybody else has any good advice I’m all ears, thanks again for the input.
So, I would rate Ryanair above wizz personally, just based on PPrune. Do think Ryan is home every night and 5-4-5-3 or something like that schedule CMIIAW. Have friends at Eazy that are pretty happy. But I would not try to commute in Europe so base would definitely be important. Infrastructure just not like the US for that. Worked there for years, granted a decade ago, but really doubt anything has gotten better.
I commuted from the US and while tolerable on a 10-5 schedule it wasn't awesome, and I am sure as we get older it doesn't get easier. Where are you now? And I have people at cargolux if you need an in or info. Don't think you will ever make as much there as here, and consider how social security would be affected if you leave the US. And you would still have to file for taxes in the us, but married you would be exempt for the first $200K. Lots of things I learned the hard (=spelling:"expensive") way ...