PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mosquito details
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2023, 21:13
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by intertidal
Sorry shouldve put the notes on the photo.
taller man is my Gfather's brother Robert Driscoll, ultimately lost on a Banff Strike Wing raid on Haugesund with his navigator.
I *think* the shorter man is likely to be his navigator (observer?) Tony Hannant who was also lost on same sortie.
photo is dated 1/sep/44. they were lost on 21/10/44.
photo is labelled Portreath. I had hitherto thought that Great Uncle Bob's last stop was East Fortune before joining 248sqdn at Banff but I guess they were haring around all over the place. We understood that he was lost flying a Tsetse aircraft but this pic does not show a Molins gun (does it?)
I understood that the aircrews stuck together at all costs, is this the case? I am as sure as I can be that the taller man is Driscoll but it would be good to identify the other man, if the crew-sticks-together rule was indeed a rule then it seems a reasonable deduction.
T
Apologies , if you already have this information.
A quick look at the ORB would seem to indicate that they only flew the Mk XVIII on ops. Obviously it doesn't look like a Mk XVIII in the picture.
On ops the squadron flew the XVIII and VI combined.
RS Driscoll and S Hannatt ( CWG lists him as Tony Allen) were posted in from 132 OTU on 23.8.44.
So my earlier comment about fatigue doesn't ring true.