PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft lands on the A40 in Gloucestershire
Old 12th Aug 2023, 12:45
pilotmike

Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts
Here are my thoughts.

1st, we don't know, we weren't there.

2nd, my 1st reaction was 'why the hell would anyone choose to land on a road?' I would drill my students to fly with sufficient height and care to have landing options available whenever possible. Landing on a road is a very last resort.

3rd, (and again…. we don't know…. but if the intrepid pilot was on short final for Staverton / Glos RW 04, these might possibly be pictures of:

A) a reasonable approach, with engine producing some power, for a powered approach, and…
B) the vexed position as the engine fails, leaving nothing but a line of trees ahead which cannot be flown over, with the only escape route, being the A40 which was thankfully sufficiently uncluttered as to allow a safe forced landing.

If so, kudos to the pilot. I'd be proud if you were one of my ex-students pulling off a safe landing like that!

Apologies, I don't know how to place / position the 2 images, but I'm sure you can determine which one is which.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Powered approach 04.pdf (415.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf
Help, my engine has failed.pdf (539.2 KB, 59 views)