PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit girl arrested for bomb "joke"
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2004, 17:01
SRR99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as well that she didn't say "tweezers" or carry a nailfile.

God forbid that she might have got on the aircraft and queued for the toilet. These terrorists are all the same.

Actually, given the farcical security that is shown up when people drop off the landing gear nearly every week, and the "bullet" incident in the UK, I do wonder whether we might just be going overboard, especially when 9/11 was caused by people who did NOT say they had weapons, and who seemed to be "in order".

What happens if you say that you have NOT got a bomb?

The actual weapons on 9/11 were hundreds of tons of aircraft, and you should NOT give control of such weapons to men with Stanley knives. Neither should you give potentials guns on Air Marshals.

It seems laughable in this hysteria that pilots have been checked for weapons, when all they have to do is crash the aircraft (cunning, eh? How do you get round that?)

I wonder how much of the security is really done for public show (not the terrorists, who are much more intelligent than that), and how much is done properly from thinking from the point of view of the terrorist, with an axe to grind (can you say that in airports), and a "battle to win"? For example, it was pretty obvious, having lived in the USA and the UK, that if one wanted to attack the USA as a terrorist, then the best way would be from within. This is precisely what happened on 9/11. At that time, Sweden would have been a good place to do a similar attack, because the security on internal flights was much lower. Even now, if people are stowing away, they could carry a bomb. 9/11 proved that some of these people do not necessarily wish to go on living to make a point.

This is all pretty obvious stuff, really, but I still believe that the agenda is driven by the political "must be seen by the public to be doing something" rather than doing the right thing (keep real weapons off planes, keep people with knives out of the cockpit, keep undesirables out of the landing gear, etc).

And, I do not believe that anything is "different" since before 9/11. Just the average person's awareness, and perhaps the determination of a few.

Anyway, folk in security, keep up the good work, but keep it real. You have a difficult job to do, and you deserve support. Politicians, well, what on earth are you up to?