PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax walks into the tail rotor while going to take a selfie
Old 10th Aug 2023, 15:46
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 474 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by MechEngr

Am I right that the tail rotor primarily pushes air to the port side and so would not have blown air at the deceased?
That depends on what the pilot is doing with his feet (and for general info, which type of helicopter).

I’ve experienced helicopter passengers (both military and civilian)doing illogical and very dangerous things, despite having been warned about the specific dangers and the correct procedures in a pre flight brief. Years ago, on being dined out from my first helicopter tour (Army Support, in RAF Germany) and being required to make some sort of a formal speech I remember making comment that I’d spent much of my time over the previous four years training troops to embark and disembark safely (would have been many hundreds) yet every time we picked up or dropped off someone was likely to have brain fade and either forget or ignore the safety brief given only a short time before, sometimes putting themselves in danger.