PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio/ATC etiquette and professionalism
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2023, 12:18
Stuart Sutcliffe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonrf
What do you think makes the airline industry have amazing radio etiquette and professionalism?

Would it be the training provided? The professionalism/ideology held in aviation? Comes down to the person?
Firstly, professional flyers will (should!) have had formal training and testing, so that is the foundation. Secondly, I believe, it is because there is an international, standardised phraseology and structure. Simultaneous two-way conversations aren't possible, so practicality (and etiquette?) necessitates one transmission needs to clearly finish before the other half of the conversation can respond.

As has already been hinted at here, a notable number of the radio users of one nation don't seem to be capable of sticking to standard phraseology or brevity. They remind me of people hunched over a bar counter, yapping excessively and mindlessly. Such verbiage is often replete with truncated phrases and colloquialisms, that often need effort to decipher, and this can certainly hamper those whose first languge is not English!

Some of the ATCOs of the same nation also appear to revel in trying to talk at the speed of light, creating a difficult time for those on the receiving end of the transmissions. Once again, it creates an issue for many, and a real problem for second-language aviators.

I accept that there will be occasions when a situation demands going outside the standard phraseology, perhaps in an effort to clarify intent behind an instruction, or resolving a particularly unusual situation. Sometimes a measured, calm, conversational, plain English sentence or two can provide comfort to someone in peril. But the majority of transmissions should really use ICAO standard words, phrases and structure, so that all on the frequency can modify their situational awareness, as required.

I won't get started on another nation that appears to believe that it's citizens can dispense with waiting their turn, continually butting in to transmissions already in progress.

Last edited by Stuart Sutcliffe; 11th Aug 2023 at 14:57.