PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 7th Aug 2023, 12:35
Thirsty

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, CASA employee, or involved in this case in any manner other than an interested bystander interested in truth and justice, a PPRuner not wishing to painfully read about this case forever and ever in these forums. Yes, I have tread the hallowed halls of Parliament, been involved in AAT cases as a plaintiff, and had a few legal wins myself (with the assistance of well briefed lawyers), to great satisfaction. I have also watched the movie "The Castle" more than once. I have watched people wrought a great injustice, so outraged they were unable to properly voice their indignity in such a way that other people can understand, ultimately get a less than satisfactory outcome to right a wrong as they have dilly-dallied in how to approach remedial action. Sadly, this case seems to fall into this category, and I am so frustrated to the point I have stopped being a silent onlooker and want to shove Glen into doing what I see is best for him. I also want to see the Public Service redirected back to their basic function, to provide a service, forthright, fearless and fair, to the public, parliament and the country.

If there is any situation where examining both sides of an argument is a valid approach, this thread discussion is proof of that. In my post of last month, I expressed astonishment at the manner in which CASA had presented Glen to Parliament as being a perceived threat to them, and (behind the scenes and not previously disclosed to Glen) what changes they had made in their organisation as a direct result of those. I made my comments based on just that side of the argument. The following posts that Glen has made have clarified the situation, and the overall effect on any financial settlement will probably be insignificant when added to all the other sins that CASA and their public servants have committed against Glen.

Of course, in the grand scope of things, this will be just a minor distraction from the bigger issue of who did what, when, and how, in shutting down a thriving enterprise, causing Glenn to lose a livelihood from the inappropriate, untimely, and possibly highly illegal actions of a few employees of CASA. This should be the issue that is to be addressed, and resolution should not be an apology, but a massive financial settlement. My considered suggestion is that will not arise from a polite discussion behind closed doors in the head office of CASA in Canberra, but in a court of law where both sides have robust legal representation, and the truth is examined and decisions arrived at, and the matter be finalised. Alternatively, close scrutiny by the new National Anti-Corruption Commission may result in some progress and a speedy offer of settlement before the matter is aired publicly.

The court of public opinion here in these forums, as well as our non-professional suggestions is not going to get you a win Glen. As you can see in the hint you have been given about your FOI request, time is of the essence, there are statutes of limitation, and dragging it on for ever will not get you anywhere. Go get a lawyer, fast!

Last edited by Thirsty; 7th Aug 2023 at 13:03.
The following 6 users liked this post by Thirsty: