PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which brands have GS mini function ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2023, 10:15
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See? This is exactly what worries me: People who do not understand how GS Mini works, but nevertheless think they can override it and fly more safely by ignoring it.

Those designers, engineers and test pilots in Toulouse are far, far cleverer than you or I, and they have done a fantastic job with the Airbus FBW. An order of magnitude better than Boeing, with their MCAS, for example. (And even their supposedly FBW B777 still has pitch trim pickle switches).
I am not really sure what you're getting at here. Manual speed additives have been used for a century soon and as far as I know no aircraft has ever stalled on approach due to inappropriate speed additives? You put a lot of faith in software developers. Now I am an airline pilot, but I also develop software and work closely with developers far better than me, their mindset is very different from that of a pilot (as I know 'pilots'). In software features are added because they're cool, not because they're necessarily asked for or needed by the end user. Now this is my opinion, but modern planes are killing the skill of being a pilot. I am talking fundamental skills. Do modern pilots understand they need added back pressure on the yoke/stick when entering a bank? Do they understand you need to trim in the aircraft in pitch whenever speed changes?

I know this thread is about GSmini, but I couldn't help myself responding to your glorification of Airbus designers and engineers. Granted, they're top line in what they're doing. Doesn't necessarily mean their system is the only way that works. I am more worried about the disconnect between pilots and the air, come future.