PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran
Thread: Iran
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2023, 20:31
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Does anyone remember the “reflagging” of tankers to the US registry during the Iran/Iraq War?
A friend was a Tanker Capt. during that period and his ship was attacked during the war.
He had some interesting tales to tell of that period of his career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanker_War

Unrelated question…anyone have a good link to Admiralty Law…Specifically “The duty to render aid” and “The right to claim safe haven”.
They used to be an easy google or other search engine search but I was trying to find them the other day and aside from links to multitudinous $$$ Law firms I couldn’t find anything useful.
It all came up in a discussion about how Admiralty Law was and is also applicable to aviation.
(My search was started due to a recent event where a pilot, faced with rapidly developing thunderstorms, landed his small aircraft on a private airstrip as his safest option. The airstrip is PPR ( Prior Permission Required ) and the owner went ballistic, threatening to charge the fellow with trespass and demanding a large landing fee for landing on his grass airstrip. The airstrip is listed in the chart supplement , has an identifier and appears on aviation charts.
This line of thunderstorms did produce some violent weather including hail and a small tornado touchdown about 40 miles away which caused significant damage.

Last edited by albatross; 8th Aug 2023 at 18:49.