PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bankstown Light Aircraft Lane.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2004, 08:55
Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt,

I reckon infringements of controlled airspace are pretty common from Victor 1, especially where you go past Bondi etc and are warned on the VTC not to hug the coast etc. "I have a friend" caught like this - when you land you get asked to ring a a phone number, where a very polite and helpful controller tells you of your folly. You actually need to be quite a long way out to sea there. My friend had a GPS which recorded his track. He muct have barely poked a wing in there - but definitely was in there all the same. Not sure they would have bothered him had he not just done a Harbour scenic and so had a dedicated transponder code. I have also sat next to quite a few of who seem to think the 500 ft thingy is +-200 or so.

The lane is a bit of a worry - and if a CTAF is still justified in Victor 1, it is difficult to see why not in the lane - but then the thinking on whether it is necessar to use the radio has changed somewhat eh? See and avoid is the name of the game now - but whether that is sensible in those situations will be interesting, but hopefully not tragic. Certainly having had a Metro blast past me in a Cutlass from behind without a so much as 'hello' is pretty exciting stuff. I wonder if he/she saw me.... Still I imagine they were IFR with RAS, TCAS and the works and so it is unlikely they did not know I was there(?)

Having said all of that what about the training area as well?