PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentina withdraws from Falklands agreement.
Old 6th Aug 2023, 07:51
B Fraser
Tabs please !

Received 413 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcantilan
99% of the people in Argentina think that the islands are Argentinean and that Britain occupies them unjustly.

99% of the people of Argentina consider that, even if Argentina can ally itself with China, Brazil, ancient aliens, etc., a future war over the islands (even if it can be easily won) is absolute madness.

I have not heard from any person, not even those fanatics, that any future arms purchases are related to any future war over the islands.

(* 99% should be read as "the vast majority")
Seņor Marcantilan sir,

First of all, I am grateful that you share your point of view here. (My wife and I have Argentina on our "to do" list). The referendum held in the Falkland Islands a few years ago is to be respected in that it must be one of the most democratic, untainted and overwhelmingly decisive determinations of the will of a people. I would have hoped that a modern democratic country such as yours, would have the maturity to respect this.

Argentina (a former Spanish colony, let's not forget) has much to do in developing its' economy and infrastructure. If I was paying taxes to BA, I would be questioning the need for an increase in military spending. The UK has Russia next door and is dependent on the open seas for trade. The UK is also meeting the commitment to NATO. Where do you see the threat to Argentina ? Brazil, Chile, Easter Island, Belize or Peru perhaps ?

Perhaps you ought to ask what it will be used for. If you want some ceremonial flypasts then BAE Hawks trailing white and blue smoke would do the job rather well,
The following 3 users liked this post by B Fraser: