PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth STARs and ATC
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2004, 06:56
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Blue,
You're being a little harsh. To address your questions:

(a) has no STAR been created (or is it due soon)
They are being designed. There are a range of difficult issues, not the least of which are our beloved Dick Smithites at YPJT. The current airspace arrangement makes it very difficult to squeeze in a proper/standard arc-join onto 10nm final for the ILS. If you're happy with the mad-house arc approach onto the 21ILS from the east then good for you: I'm not and wouldn't like to see such a tight approach onto 03, thanks very much.

(b) why do ATC tend to utilise a second grade approach in preference to an ILS approach even in marginal/average weather conditions. (I always thought the order of accuracy went ILS, VOR, NDB - and most people I would assume would prefer the safest, most accurate approach possible. )
They don't "tend" to do anything of the sort. I have NEVER been told to/offered an 03 VOR/DME in preference to the 03 ILS since it has been put in.

(c) how do ATC get trained - in terms of what are they told about arrivals to give - vs what is generally preferred by the pilots?
Dunno, but I do know that what local ATC would like to do (and what we'd like as well) and what they have to do due to rules from those "in the east", are two different things.

I do admit it would make life a bit easier if, when the 03 ILS was in use, that that was on the ATIS with the advice that aircraft would be radar vectored inside 30nm to give us a bit more warning.