PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MOD Pension Debacle
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 18:21
Countdown begins

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by orionsbelt
'''Another confused post by orionsbelt!! It’s to do with COPE, but not since the NI changes in 2016.
if you have concerns use the HMRC site, and look at your records. I get my pension back up to full amount next year.'''

See below for MOD Response received by My MP in August 2011. Further I suggest that this forum would be a much nicer place if people kept there irrelevant comments to them selves.
For those other sensible people with genuine questions I hope this helps. Its an OCR scan of the letter received.
***MINISTRY OF DEFENCE

FLOOR 5 ZONE B MAIN BUILDING

WHITEHALL LONDON SW1 A 2HB

Telephone: 020 7218 9000 (Switchboard)

THE RT HON ANDREW ROBATHAN MP

MINISTER FOR DEFENCE PERSONNEL WELFARE AND VETERANS

Our ref: D/Min(DPWV)/AR MCxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

\ \ August 2011

Thank you for your recent letter, signed by a member of your staff, enclosing correspondence from your constituent, xxxxxxxxxx---xxxxxxxx about the reduction in his Armed Forces Pension under the National Insurance Modification rules.

The reason for the abatement to xxxxxxxxx pension goes back to 1948 when the National Insurance (NI) Scheme was made compulsory for ail employed personnel. When flat rate benefits were introduced, the Government took the view that, to avoid over-provision of pension benefits, account should be taken of other benefits payable at the State Retirement Age (SRA).

All employers with occupational pension schemes were required to modify their schemes to take account of the contributions and benefits payable under the NI Scheme.

As a result, on reaching SRA, the Armed Forces Pension Scheme (AFPS) pension of Service personnel who enlisted on or after 1 July 1949 is reduced by £0.8708 per annum for each complete year of reckonable Service between 30 June 1949 and 1 April 1980. This reduction is referred to as the NI Modification rules. In addition pensioners, like XXXXXX, who also contributed to the Graduated Pension Scheme (GPS) whilst in the Service during the period 3 April 1961 to 5 Aprii i 975, have their Armed Forces pension reduced by the amount of the basic graduated pension (also payable at SRA as State benefits) earned by their graduated contributions. This reduction is known as a GPS abatement.

Officials have confirmed that XXXXXXXXX' AFPS pension has been correctly reduced in line with the rules governing both the NI and GPS Schemes at the time of his Service. I can assure both you and XXXXXX that the reductions applied are not as a consequence of him having paid insufficient NI contributions during his Armed Forces Service. However, it is also the case that the State pension XXXXXX has been receiving since attaining SRA on XXXXX 2011 will have been enhanced by the contributions he made to the NI and GP Schemes.

I hope this reply is helpful and explains the position.

XXXXXXXXXX

Private Secretary
Not quite sure what this tantrum is about, but your poor grammar and language at the start makes it a joke.