PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another DJ Near Miss
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2004, 05:37
Vref+5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I asked previously, what were the pilots doing for the 30-40 prior to the aural traffic warning when the aircraft was displayed, assuming it popped up at 2700' below. I assume it was displayed from then because if it had just popped up with an immediate TA it would have been mentioned in the report. I am not attempting to blame the pilots, but rather to see where the other errors were made. Was the training they received regarding the new airspace lacking, are VBs procedures regarding instrument scanning missing something, were the crew just too complacent (been into Launceston a thousand times etc)?

I am by no means totally convinced with the new procedures, but it is here, and we should attempt educate crews/pilots better to ensure these errors don't occur again. Pretty much all of the GA pilots I have encountered over the years are not intent on having a mid air, so I think everyone is interested in avoiding these situations.

Just out of interest in 2002 there were 2 mid air collisions at GAAP airfields, killing quite a number of people, with debris falling onto suburban areas. I can't recall any outcry, demanding the closure of GAAPs