PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA 61.75 licence validity question
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 02:51
Chief Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Currency to add IFR to a 61.75 Certificate

I've encountered another wrinkle on the discussion in this thread.
I was issued a 61.75 in 2016 on the basis of my Australian PPL. I had a current Australian Medical and BFR (bi-ennial flight review) at the time. Both of which have since lapsed, as I am now resident in the US.
After 61.75 issue, I have maintained US medical and Flight Review currency.
I have, this year, passed the FAA IFR Written exam, and have in the last 2 months logged all the necessary training hours with a US CFII
3 weeks ago, an FAA DPE rejected my application for an IFR Flight Test, for addition of the Instrument rating to my 61.75 licence.
The basis of that denial was the DPE's assertion that I needed to have a current Australian Flight Review and medical certificate. In addition to my current US medical and Flight Review. The fact that my Australian Licence is stamped Permanently Valid was not acceptable to the DPE.
The DPE even called an FAA inspector and a contact at AOPA who both confirmed the DPE's position.
Can anyone point me to the relevant words in the FAA regs, orders and/or AC's that state the requirement for my Valid Australian Licence to be supported by current Australian medical and Flight review?