PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speedbird Pilot Academy - Funded
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2023, 22:20
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by class2ldn
Well to find a fully funded program like this seems quite rare?
No way I could afford something like easyjet offer where you have to pay the money upfront so even if I did get the grades it wouldn't be in time for this campaign anyway.
Also just turned 40 so not exactly an ideal age is it compared to the amount of younger individuals who will be applying.
I wouldn't rule yourself out, if you joined the railway after Train Driver training followed the Apprenticeship model, then you'll have the passed the "Functional Skills" assessments in English, Mathematics and ICT (each I believe equivalent to a "C" grade at GCSE) or had the equivalent GCSEs, which would likely boost your academic qualifications. You'll also have an Apprenticeship Certificate. They'll probably get applications with people who've got qualifications abroad but who have British residency etc. and sometimes what is equivalent or not is a bit of a minefield.

You've also mentioned BTECs and depending at the level these are at, they may be equivalent to GCSE or A-Level.

If in doubt, I'd be tempted to apply anyway, you have nothing to lose by doing so and the fact you've had a year of intensive training for your current job and passed it, along with the responsibility and experience your current role offers, should add a lot of weight to your application.