PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quebec C152 spin on take off
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2023, 11:04
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I have corrected the airplane type in the title, it was either a 150 or a 152.

The seat will not slide far enough back in a 150/152 to get the pilot out of reach of the controls (other than a shorter pilot might not reach the pedals fully). The 150 series were not affected by the AD for secondary seat restrictors. The flap setting looks acceptable (not fully extended). The airplane rolled off with torque, which is normal if you fly it that way. From the snippet of video I watched, I opine that the pilot pulled the airplane very sharply up, resulting in a sudden reduction of airspeed, which was not restored by lowering the nose (it wasn't enough altitude for that in any case). The C150/152 does not have much inertia, and will slow down really quickly. The airplane became a kite in the wind for a brief moment, then did exactly what it would be expected to do. From the moment the airplane appears hanging in the sky in the brief video, it would not be recoverable to flight again - it was going to hit in any case. But better reaction could have resulted in a crash straight ahead instead.